Creating our Animation Set

It CAN be Tested!

At this point – if you open CryEngine… what you should have is an Entity you can drag and drop into levels which will be fully interact able weapon (incapable of damage since the collision is in a totally borked spot.) And once you grab the weapon, a lot of red text saying the animation doesn’t exist. You’ll probably also have arms in a Franken-pose. Well, everything is fine. It’s working perfectly, we just need animations.

Summing it up.

So yea, we need to cover the basics. A selection animation (unsheathe the sword), a deselecting animation (put it away), an idle animation loop (about 2 seconds of waving it around uselessly), and a swing. This part should be easy… but it’s animation so it’s actually quite tricky. I recommend setting up a view camera (to see things as they’d appear from CryEngine.)

Basically, my workflow here is to grab a copy of the master file, rename it after the intended animation. (Let’s say, idle_01.ma) and then keyframe that animation. (For idle, a two second loop of waving the bat around clumsily.) When I have something which works, I then export the CAF file; and move on.

Worth noting the animation names should match up to what is being defined inside the CHRPARAMS file, which as I’m sure you realize is all quite arbitrarily named. Have fun. :)

The Maya to CryEngine 3 Animation Export Process

1. Open CryTek UI.
  2. In AnimExport section… Click “New”
  3. Name the animation.
    Note: Whatever you name it is the filename used for export.
  4. Identify frames of animation.
  5. Type in joint chain root name. (OR select joint chain root node and hit “Select” button.)
  6. Click on “Browse”, and in popup window hit “Save” button.
  7. Animation should now be ready for export.
  8. Open CryTek UI and in AnimExport section click on “Export Anim”.
  9. You should have a *.CAF file in with the source scene file. You will relocate this to the engine.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
11 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
ozcorps
ozcorps
9 years ago

So from you last reply, you haven’t actually made a video for making animations in MAYA ?

Michael
Michael
9 years ago
Reply to  ozcorps

Pretty much, yea. That particular topic is out of the scope of the tutorial. My guides are really written for the developers who have already acquired comfort with a DCC package and are looking to take the next step. If you do not feel comfortable animating in Maya, there are separate guides which have been written for that. Some good.

-r1

IrishMidget
IrishMidget
9 years ago
Reply to  Michael

I have a question. Would you ever be doing a video tutorial on this? Let me know if you will, would be bloody useful mate- thanks for the tut!

Michael
Michael
9 years ago
Reply to  IrishMidget

Honestly, I don’t think so. For one, I’m not excellent at explaining things. Which is to say I could easily see a comprehensive video version taking up a great deal of time. (In the range of hours.)

Also, I’d always had kind of planned it that someone who makes video tutorials will find my site and ask if he can convert my notes into a real tutorial. Hasn’t happened yet though.

-r1

IrishMidget
IrishMidget
9 years ago
Reply to  Michael

I think I might know someone who might want to make a video tutorial out of this.
He makes pretty good tutorials and not one of them have not worked (For me anyway..). I’ll try and send him a message and he’ll probably ask you and do a tutorial.
You don’t mind right?

If you don’t mind, he’s “1Richmar” on Youtube. look him up I guess.

Brian
Brian
10 years ago

I have followed your tutorial pretty well up to this point, but this page seems really ambiguous. Where is this idle_01 maya file? When I expor t them, do they go in the “Animations\first\baseball_bat” folder? Where are all the .caf files for the other weapons like the SCAR? Thanks.

Michael
Michael
10 years ago
Reply to  Brian

Hey Brian,

* You’ll need to make the idle_01 Maya file. As well as any other animations you plan to create.
* Yes, you’ll want to put them in a folder inside the game archive. Doesn’t matter where so much, just that the weapon’s chrparam file point to the right location and animations.
* And the other animations are compressed in a bunch of DBA files. They’re all inside Animations.PAK.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more. :)

-r1

IgnisFreak
IgnisFreak
9 years ago
Reply to  Michael

Hey there Rancid! Thanks for a great tutorial. I made a knife weapon with that. However after I created the animations, inside CryEngine the knife gets stuck to the root bone location instead of where I placed it in 3ds max. I tried to link it to the hand itself but it didnt work. Any ideas?

Michael
Michael
9 years ago
Reply to  IgnisFreak

Did you make sure to parent the weapon joints to the arm root joint? In concept it should look something like. Except of course, named properly.

Root Joint