CryEngine 3 Multiplayer Works!

There’s been some buzz on the CryDev Forums. We’ve recently been working on discovering the nuances of TCP/UDP socketing and CryEngine’s server capabilities. Well, I’d like to say I take no credit for discovering this process, I simply documented it. I have also posted it here.

Full list of steps taken:

• Export functional map to engine.
  • Open CryLauncher. Log in using credentials.
  • Console Command “map mapname s” (s is for server.)
  • Once map loaded. Open second CryLauncher. Use same credentials.
  • In new CryLauncher window, enter console command “connect 127.0.0.1” (This is your localhost as defined in your hosts file. It could be any IP address which is currently receiving.)
  • CryLauncher hoses, loads slow, but eventually loads.
  • You can alt-tab between windows and effect change.

(Note: italic text represents a placeholder. You may need to adjust the values. (HINT: Replace mapname with forest.))

0 0 vote
Article Rating
8 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Manu080797
Manu080797
9 years ago

you may refer to this topic in the crydev forums:

But it didn’t solve my problem.

Michael
Michael
9 years ago
Reply to  Manu080797

Yes, that does appear to be the topic I mentioned. Thank you for turning it up – I had been unable to find it in my searches.

As I said, I’ve barely tested the functionality. (Since chances are I’m going to have to reprogram some of it for my purposes anyway.) I haven’t really gotten to that step of Project Tophat yet, but I will. I wish I knew more about the topic and could help clarify further. But I’m afraid I don’t, at least not yet. Heck, I’m still figuring this Engine out myself. :)

Hope you get it solved! And if you do, I’m sure the community would benefit greatly from your sharing what you learned! Take care. :)

Manu080797
Manu080797
9 years ago

the Cryengine 3 multiplayer really works!!!!

But I’ve got a problem. When the server player shoots to the client player It can’t kill it, although if the client player attacks the server it kills the server player.

Michael
Michael
9 years ago
Reply to  Manu080797

Yep, that was my initial response too. :)

But yea, in case you couldn’t tell I barely played with the functionality. It nearly melted my graphics card, hehe. Anyway, I seem to remember reading something about this on the CryDev forums. I’ll see if I can’t turn it up here in the next few days and I will get back to you. :)

adam
adam
9 years ago

haha cool man! well lets look forward to good traffic and some new updates hopefully next year with CryENGINE 3!

adam
adam
9 years ago

Hey awesome site you got here! Featured this tutorial on my site http://cryengine3sdk.com/?p=476
If you want to exchange links I can offer you a spot on my front page. You already have a section in my tutorials page. Lets link up!

Michael
Michael
9 years ago
Reply to  adam

Sounds great, man. I went ahead and added you to my CryEngine links. :) If you have any questions or comments, feel free to use my contact forum. (Assuming whatever you want to say needs to stay private. Here is good too. :))

trackback
How to Build a Multiplayer Server With CryENGINE 3. | CryENGINE3sdk.com
9 years ago

[…] The Rancid One┬áhas figured out how to create a multiplayer server and has given the community a small tutorial that should help you get started with multiplayer servers and LAN networking in CryENGINE 3. It involves the use of the netcode already inside the CryENGINE 3. With a few simple steps (lol) you can get started buffing out your games multiplayer portion. Great job Rancid One! […]